Tuesday, October 11, 2011

ground work with a draft horse

I worked with the two draft horses out in the pasture a couple times over the last few days.  Both think they need to be hard to catch. :) Fine ! I can work with that and it's so much fun. I really enjoy that. I can practice my horse language skills some more ;D The one minus point for me is the bigness of the pasture. If they decide to take off I have no chance to catch up... So, I need to get them in an area where I also have a chance... I wanted to continue our little discussion from yesterday. Nellie let me come closer today but then Madame thought 'No, you can't catch me !' and took off. I didn't really want to work with her today anyway. Duke was standing beside me and let me pet him. He didn't mind that I put the rope over this neck and soon put the halter on. He was a bit nervous but didn't try to escape. We made it to the one little pen beside the house. I asked him to move his hind end, go forward and backup and move his shoulders. He did great ! I was surprised that he didn't fuss so much. People told me that he is pretty pushy ! I left him the pen for a while by himself. Poor guy, he was sooo sweaty ! He is a brat ! Duke reared up right at the gate and tried to escape... He learned that from Nellie...( She did that in winter when they were looked up in this pen. Her stunt is to rear up, push the gate down so the chain gets out of place and she can push the gate open. :) smart cookie !!)  I put the halter on Duke again and we walked nicely to another gate where I turned him loose. He showed me good manners, still nervous. I am so proud of Duke :)

No comments:

Post a Comment