Thursday, June 23, 2011

BC trip day #3 Back to Alberta



I woke up the second time in a tent. This time I slept better then the night before. With a cup of hot chocolate in one hands and my camera in the other Robin and I went for a morning walk around the camp ground, down to the lake (Moose lake). It was such a peaceful morning, the sun was shining, the ducks busy on the lake and the mountains surrounded the whole scene. A perfect way to start a day... On our way back to the spot where the tent was we spotted two bunnys eating breakfast. Cute little things. Breakfast, packing everything again and jump in the truck and on our way to Fort Steele. There was a deer in the ditch beside a white fence and had something little beside her. A baby deer ! With big dark eyes, oh that is cute ! Fort Steele... (picture) an amazing old town. I really enjoyed the trip in the past and the freshly baked cinnamon buns ;D Off we went, this time in direction of Calgary our final destination on this trip. There was a sign before Sparwood BC which said `world`s largest truck 1 km`. This draw my interest. I wanted to see that even I am not really interested in trucks. A huuuge truck which they use in the mines... I was standing beside this mammoth and looked very very tiny. The next `attraction` was a part of Alberta`s history, the Frank slide. In 1903 one night when everyone was in bed the one side of the mountain gave away and buried the town `Frank`and the near mine underneath. There are big, huge, small and tiny rocks everywhere left and right the road. It must have been a horrible scene when it happend. With every meter we drove we put more and more distance between us and the mountains :( and closer to the prairie of southern Alberta. This piece of Alberta is flat, not many trees or wildlife but lots of wind. Almost boring ! It was getting later and later and soon the sun was down. The big challenge was to find a camp ground. It`s all private land and so the only camp grounds are either in town or on the surface of it. Not much fun ! So we drove and drove till we finally found one. This one was in the bush again :) well, sort of ! We could hear the train and the traffic on the highway. A good thing I had my ear plugs with me ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment