Tuesday, June 7, 2011

getting cows ready for pasture




Its time for the cows and their calves to move to the summer pasture. So, that's what we did today... get them ready for their haul to the pasture. The calves needed to get tagged, vaccinated and the bull turned into steers. We rounded up the herd with the horses (they needed a workout to get in shape for the mountain trip). I rode Dusty. He is an old Arab but still has a lot of fire. After all the cows were in the corral and the horses put away we started to pair up the cows with their baby and chase them in an other corral. When we had around 4 pairs we started to catch or rope the calf (only the bulls), needle, tag and castrate (only the bulls) them. I was tagging, vaccinating and helping during the castrating. My job was to make sure the calf is not kicking while we work on it. Well, I got kicked twice... I would say this is part of the job. We processed two loads of 18 pairs. As soon as they were done we put them on the trailer and hauled them to the pasture where they stay till fall. It was a good experience I really enjoyed to do some real farm work.

No comments:

Post a Comment