Thursday, June 9, 2011

more cows and calves ready for pasture

The second of my days off started with moving two cows with their calves in the pasture down the road. The cows knew what's going on and took off in the right direction. The babies were not so sure what's going on and escaped through the fence.... CHILDREN !! They made it in the pasture too ;) Now, it was time for breakfast and being lazy. I took my book and got comfortable on the sofa. The sun was shining during our cow move but now the sky got darker and soon the rain hit again. It was raining the almost 1 /3 of the day. Still, not too wet to get the rest of the cows and calves in to get them also ready for pasture. Around 6 pm we went outside to bring in the herd. This time I was sitting on the quad, it was faster then grab the horses and ride. When everyone was in the coral we started to sort out the moms and keep the babies in a small coral. 'Cause I had to go back to the barn in the evening we only had a few hours. Earlier, we decided not to tag, only vaccinate and castrate the bulls. The tagging will be done the next day before the whole gang gets loaded on the truck and dumped in the pasture. I had my job again of holding the calves hind legs while Robin was using the clamp. The ground was more wet then the day before and so my pants looked pretty poopy after a short time :( We had 23 calves (heifers and bulls) to do. We all were tired afterwards. After supper it was time for me to pack my stuff once again and head back to the barn.

No comments:

Post a Comment