Monday, June 13, 2011

branding




Today started with a nice breakfast, mushroom-scrumbled egg and toast. Our project for today was : branding heifers and cows. So, the heifers and cows could go to their summer resort (pasture) too. We chased the cows in a pen and the calves in another one. Then the cows had to go through a shoot in to a metal shoot where they got their brand. I had the chance to put a brand on a cow or heifer too but I could imagine the pain and so I said I am good and would only watch... We branded 6 red heifers and around 6 cows. My job was to make sure they can't go backwards in the shoot by putting a pole behind the last one. One of the cows was a bit crazy, she chased three guys in the bush yesterday. I don't like cows charging me !!! But she behaved, only pawed a few times so the dirt was flying... When everybody had their tattoo, we loaded them in the big trailer and off we went to put them in the pasture and check fence. All the cows and heifers were pretty happy to have all the tall grass to eat. We left the truck and trailer in the pasture and went to check the fence. My job was to staple the wire up to the new pounded posts. Finally around 4 pm we eat lunch and decided to do some more fencing and bring salt to the cows. The weather didn't agree with our plans, it just poured !!! So, we decided to postpone the fence checking and only bring the salt to the cows. They really liked it ;D It was time for us to go home, relax, visit and have a cup of tea....

No comments:

Post a Comment