Sunday, November 13, 2011

cattle drive and snow





Friday, getting ready for the cattle drive. We had to be ready to roll at noon... saddle horses, put all the needed gear in the truck, get the truck ready as well :) Finally, everyone arrived and we could load horses and people and get going. Our next project was rounding up the cows which were all over the pasture. I rode Buddy, one of my friends horses. I rode him before so I shouldn't have problems with him... and he was used to cows. Well, after awhile we ran into some issues together and I had a hell of a time to keep him quiet. And I wasn't so sure if he is not starting to buck. Two of my friends and I managed to push two bulls and a few cows and calves in the direction they had to go. Buddy was doing good so far. Soon, I got more and more problems with him which was really annoying !! I looked forward to a nice cattle drive !!!! Our problems multiplied from minute to minute and I got more and more annoyed all the way to the point I decided to walk not to ride. I stopped Buddy to get off. He only started to move again as soon as I was on my way down... so I lost my balance and hit the ground ! I was sooo mad and so I grabbed the rope and made him walk as fast as I could to keep up with the cows. We caught up and stayed there for the whole 6 miles. We were so tired and I had a big bruise coming up on my thigh. After putting the horses away we went in the house to have something to eat. Soon it was time to hit the road toward Edson. My friend and I loaded everything and the horse in the truck and trailer and off we went. On our way I called my friend to tell her when I will be home again and she said that it's snowing like crazy in Edson. We decided not to take the chance to hit the ditch with the horse trailer, so we turned around and headed back to Winfield to spent the night there and try again the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment