Tuesday, February 8, 2011

feeding at minus 39 degrees


A new temperature experience for me : minus 39 incl. wind chill. I was feeding outside today in the morning and thought its a little bit chilly.... Good thing I was driving the gator so I wasnt right in the chill like I would be on the quad. Well, weather like that makes you hurry up to get inside pretty fast. :D And its easier to feed square bales then feeding from the round bale. To fork hay and drag or load it in the gator and bring it to the horses takes more time then just cut the twin on a square bale and throw it over the fence. So I was done in around 30 min. I never fed squares outside and so I had no idea how many bales I would need. There are around 13 horses outside and so I calculated around 6 bales. I used 5 bales ;) I dont know if this is too much or right... on the other hand the horses get more hay when its that cold. The flakes from the squares are easier to spread all over the place so every horse gets his share. Later, someone brought some of the outside horses in the barn. I knew the one which is always screaming is Rosie and the other one must be Ben. And Ben is the horse i can ride :) I never saw him close before only out in the field when I was feeding. I need to take a picture of him soon. He is a real cutie !!! A black and white paint horse. I took the chance and went in the area with him to lunge him. Ben is not in shape so we took it easy and did only a bit walk and jog on both sides. He tried a few times to face up and so we need to work on not facing up anymore. And I guess I also will work on leading with him especially on the right side.

No comments:

Post a Comment