Monday, April 5, 2010

Lesson with Birgit

I met Birgit yesterday at Geronimo's barn where she gave me a lesson in ground work (leading and lunging).
Everytime when I started to lunge Geronimo after a longer break he starts to act stupid and does all kind of things so he doesn't have to work on the lunge line. This time as well. So we got the full version of his avoid work-behavier which was good so Birgit got a good picture where our problem is. He already started acting stupid when I wanted to lead him around the arena on the right side. We ended up leading one person left and right. Still, he tried to kick, blow through the shoulder, run away or once the thought about rearing. So we were pretty busy ! Same deal, when I wanted to lunge him. Brat !! Well, we did the same here, two persons work with him, me on the outside leading him and Birgit in the lunging position. Geronimo tried his things to do, a few times he won but we won most of the time :) When he finally understood it didn't work anymore he gave in, chewed and stretched down. At this point we stopped and awarded him.
It was hard work but we could show him it's easier when he works with us not against us.
This was my last ground work session with Geronimo. We will go for our last trail ride today :(

No comments:

Post a Comment