Saturday, May 15, 2010

first day of work

I am in Jasper now. It was my first day of work as a trail guide. The stables are near the Jasper Park Lodge in the Jasper National Park. It was nice weather, sunny but not too hot and from time to time a few clouds. In the morning we got all the informations around the barn, how to feed, how to tack horses, how to dis/mount a tourist, what we have to tell them when we mount them... Then we tacked the horses and Dave took the guides for the first trail ride. It was the 1 hour trail ride. Dave explained us all the importent stuff we need to know out in the bush. All guides have a radio on the belt just in case we would need help. It was a lot to learn and keep in mind and sure we need to learn the trail.... 'cause in the afternoon was already the first trail ride with real tourists !!! I should be in the front and Lynda was my back guide... Oh my god !!! She told me I can ask her when I don't remember where to go. Good thing I remembered the whole trail only once I wasn't so sure and had to ask. My horse, Jack was a bit slow in the beginning and I thought oh my goodness, will I have to drive him one the whole ride... ! Thank god not, he only needed some time to warm up and then we travelled nicly and were just a bit fast sometimes. I don't like when a horse moves like a snail.... There should be a certain amount of speed even for a dude horse !!! In the end he had the idea to get fast to go back to the barn and I could stop him before he could take off.. Horses and their ideas sometimes... ! After lunch we had to clean the barn and put the feed in the stalls for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment