Thursday, May 6, 2010

work with two young horses

It was another busy day here in Brule. The sky was still cloudy and from time to time a few snow flakes. My day started with feeding the horses. I am not used to carry many buckets of cubes so I have sore muscles. Oh well, that's just part of the game ;) After lunch and a nice chat with Lynda we went to the barn again to grab two horses. This time we took Raya (for me) and Rica (for Lynda). Raya is a nice quiet mare and it turned out she is a fast learner. I worked with her to stay out of a person's space and be comfortable with that. According to Lynda the Canadian horse is always in a person's face so they have to learn to stay away... We also worked on the beginning of lunging. Just send her out on the circle and don't go backwards to avoid work. She also learned this pretty fast :) I like a horse like that... Mercury was a bit more difficult. He kept ignore my orders in the round pen 'cause I didn't push him enough to get his attention. When I realized this and added a few more pressure I got some nice turns. We still need to work some more on that... He is a brat and know exaclty what when to do. An interesting horse !

No comments:

Post a Comment